Senior Project Interior Designer
The Senior Project Interior Designer leads interior design activities of medium and high complexity. The jobholder ensures an effective and aesthetic interior design which accommodates the requirements of the client, local authorities, architectural standards and codes of practice and the requirements of other disciplines. The Senior Project Interior Designer is expected to act as a team leader on one or more projects to complete the project design cycle, including concept design, schematic design, detailed design and preparation of tender documents. He leads the preparation of all preliminary layouts received from Architects for Analysis and Validation from Interior design point of view; having in mind the following criteria:
- He have to carry out all the correspondence and coordination with other design units during all the project phases, with a clear understanding to the relationship between the projects stake holders.
- He should demonstrate perfect understanding to BIM concepts in general.
- He should have reasonable understanding to REVIT software as well.
- He should have good understanding in the following REVIT topics:
Good understanding to the modeling tools is an added value.He shall stay abreast of the latest trends and developments in the interior design field and share his expertise and knowledge with other team members.
- Collaboration tools
- Work-sharing workflow.
- Coordination workflow.
- Model review tools (Model navigation and different view tools).
- Models checking tools (Interference check).
- Process of linking different file types
- Good understanding to families’ concept and usage.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AREAS AND ACTIVITIES OF THE ROLE:
- Ensure responsibilities are fulfilled with a high quality cost-effectively
- Support Project Managers in client presentations and workshops, as needed
- Support Project Managers with responding to client clarifications and technical issues, as needed
- Ensure client satisfaction with interior design deliverables
- Support the collection of internally available data to support project execution
- Lead discussions with clients to determine criteria guiding interior design, including budgets, preferences, etc.
- Develop interior design sketches, prepare paints and fabric samples and color palettes for projects of medium to high complexity, for discussions with clients
- Estimate material requirements and costs of different interior design options for projects of medium complexity
- Refine selected design options into preliminary and detailed designs, including all required drawings and reports
- Closely work with stakeholders for design value engineering for projects of medium to high complexity, as needed
- Select and design furnishings, artwork, accessories and internal signage packages for interior design projects of medium complexity
- Support project teams with the development of the specifications for materials, finishes, lighting, flooring, furniture, fixtures and equipment, as needed
- Coordinate with other design specializations (e.g. Architecture, Electrical) to coordinate design requirements across disciplines for interior design projects of medium to high complexity
- Closely work with Project Managers for the review and validation of design deliverables with clients and authorities, capturing feedback and obtaining approvals, as needed
- Closely work with the Quantity Surveying Department for the development of tender documents, including specifications, Bills of Quantities and Conditions of Contract, and provide support during the tender process, as needed
- Closely work with project teams for reviewing design deliverables of non-complex projects
- Support Project Managers in developing, reviewing and updating work programs and man-hour estimates and in managing changes in project scope, schedule or budgets, as needed
- Support Project Managers in managing project budgets, resource allocation and project schedules, as needed
- Support Project Managers in managing project contractual risks, as needed
- Support Project Managers in managing external suppliers and subcontracts and in ensuring the adherence of their deliverables with the project scope, schedule and budget
- Provide support to Project Managers in developing periodic progress reports, as needed
- Assist Project Managers with implementing quality control policies and procedures on design deliverables and conduct peer review on team members’ deliverables
- Support during the supervision stage, as needed, including solving interior design conflicts, inspecting finishing of interior spaces (e.g. painting, carpeting, flooring) and inspecting arrangement of furniture, fixtures, equipment, decorations and artwork, in coordination with local design support teams
- Upload design deliverables into the knowledge management repository as per policies and procedures
- Attend periodic training to further develop relevant skills
- Provide internal training sessions
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, COMPETENCIES AND EXPERIENCE:
Qualification, Technical Skills and Competencies Required to Execute this Role:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Architecture, Interior Design or related field
- Master’s Degree in Architecture, Interior Design or related field is preferred
- Chartered Professional Engineering certificate or equivalent is preferred
- In depth knowledge in Architectural and interior design space
- Knowledge of architectural building systems, sustainability and LEED guidelines
- Good graphic skills from hand sketching, relations/proportion to colors arrangement and recognition
- Good knowledge of furniture, fixture and equipment, architectural and interior finishes, lighting, signage, art and color schemes
- Knowledge of design software, such as Revit, Photoshop
- Understanding of international engineering standards and codes
- Excellent communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in spoken and written English; Arabic and/or French is an advantage
Experience Required to Execute this Role
- 10+ years of industry experience in Architecture, particularly in interior design
- 10+ years of experience in the Architecture and interior design field in a top tier regional / multinational engineering consultancy or boutique interior design firm
- Strong experience in large and complex interior design projects
- Exposure to global best practices and trends in interior design
- Experience in the Middle East is preferred