The Highway Design Manager leads the highway design team in the Bangalore design office during design delivery and will be expected to be involved in and lead the design of all projects starting from concept development to final design and tendering. The successful candidates must have experience in designing high value projects within the Infrastructure – Roads & Highways sector as well as some project management experience. They will be required to drive efficiency and rigor in technical delivery by providing cross-program co-ordination and technical leadership. They will also be responsible for driving excellence in health and safety, ensuring that risks are minimized in the design process.
- Determines methods and solutions for complex engineering problems and selects the most efficient and economical manner in meeting the objectives. Applies advanced engineering techniques and analyses within a discipline.
- Liaison with the design support team to manage and co-ordinate all of the engineering design for the program across all phases of work in the design process.
- Participating in value engineering reviews.
- Auditing compliance against standards, policies, procedures and best practices for engineering on the Program.
- Monitoring compliance against the approvals requirements, including regulatory authorities, for the Program.
- Provide technical guidance to Senior, Mid-level, Junior Highway Design Engineers, CAD Designers / Drafters working on a variety of transportation projects – ensure quality of deliverables, motivate the team, etc.
- Provide project design civil engineering services such as preparation of project study reports, project reports, geometric approval drawings, plans, specifications and estimates.
- Provide technical consultations for interdisciplinary analytical studies and analyses.
- Ensures compliance of design with all applicable codes and regulations, providing the seal and signature of the professional engineer when required by statute or contract.
- Leads other engineers and design personnel in technical excellence and growth in the Quality Improvement Process.
- Helps determine budget estimates and staffing requirements for the defined scope and schedule. May assist with other administrative and technical duties.
- Liaison and co-ordination between the Designers across the other disciplines in the development of engineering work packages.
- Ensuring that Health, Safety, Environment and Security requirements are properly considered and included in all stages of the design process.
- Confirming that necessary approvals are obtained from certification bodies.
- Ensure the Design Consultants deliver the right product of the right quality on schedule.
Experience, Skills and Knowledge
- Minimum of 16 years highway/infrastructure design with some project management experience.
- Knowledge of engineering aspects of major civil and infrastructure projects.
- Excellent report writing and communication skills.
- User of MS Office.
- Experience in using Civil 3D software.
- Experience in using AutoCAD software
- Preferably previous experience of projects in the Middle East
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Accepts responsibility
- Planning & organizing
- Technical Engineering
- Ability to lead, manage and motivate
- Very strong Time management
- Highly efficient
- Work independently
- Able to think outside the box to overcome obstacles
- Good foresight and insight
- Proactive and takes the initiative
- Effectively uses project management tools
- Has a positive can-do attitude
- Able to manage expectations
- Provides a positive client experience
- Able to manage a large workload and deliver multiple and competing deadlines
- Bachelor degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited University.
- Master’s Degree in Engineering or Business Administration is preferable.
- Chartered Professional Engineering certification or membership in any professional body is an added advantage.